Thursday, June 9, 2011

Back from my Trip! (For work)...

I just got back from a few days traveling for work.... It was fun. Here are some tips for eating healthy on the road...

I knew I was going to be eating a lot of salad this week, but I am pretty picky about my dressing. Since I was driving to my destination, I decided to bring my own homemade salad dressing

Homemade dressing:
- mix mustard, apple cider vinegar, splenda and balsamic vinegar. (spicy brown mustard is better than regular mustard, but I was out)
I mixed it all in the apple cider vinegar bottle and took it with me.



My room (all clean) before I destroyed it... (I am not such a neat freak)



YAY! I had a refrigerator and microwave, which makes things easier since I like to make my own food than eat out.



I went out to stop and shop and got some brussel sprouts and better 'n eggs (No I didn't have a stove)....


MICROWAVED EGG WHITES! The easiest breakfast to make. Pour egg whites into a cup, microwave for a few minutes (watching closely so they don't explode), and eat!!! It is so easy. I used a paper cup that the hotel provided so there was no messy clean up. (and they gave me a salt shaker too for the week), since I can't live without my salt.



ATKINS Chocolate Peanut Butter Bar and Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough- I have had these bars before and they are one of my top favorites. I like to freeze them and then eat them for a snack. I used to eat a lot more of them, but I cut down because I was getting stomach aches from the sugar alcohols. Yes, I would prefer "real food" but these are just more convenient. I leave my house at 6AM every morning and sometimes don't come back home 8PM- midnight.... so, grabbing a few bars is a lot easier than making meals.

Nutritional info for chocolate peanut butter: 1 bar has 240 calories, 12 grams fat, 6 grams saturated fat, 0 grams trans fats, 22 grams carbs, 10 grams fiber, 1 gram sugar, 10 grams sugar alcohol and 19 grams protein.




ATKINS Peanut Butter Granola bar
: I also bought one of these atkins peanut butter granola bars. This is the first time I tried them and I love them. One bar has only 210 calories, 11 grams fat, 19 grams carbs, 5 grams fiber, 11 grams sugar alcohols and 14 grams protein.

This was delicious.... you can't go wrong with atkins bars :)



AdvantEdge Carb Control shakes:

I also tried out these EAS AdvantEdge protein drinks.... LOVE THEM!!



Stats are awesome (See below). The only thing I would say is it's a lot more cheaper to make your own protein shake (even if you buy an expensive protein powder) than to buy pre-packaged drinks, but these are VERY convenient for on the go...



Myoplex carb control bars:

These are one of my fave protein bars... I lived off these during my busy work season. They are sooo good. I have had this flavor (cookies and cream) and chocolate peanut butter (I can't decide which one I like better, so I switch between the two). Tons of protein and the net carb count is low. And they taste awesome. (Again, because of the sugar alcohols I had to cut down on these because I would sometimes get bad cramps).

Calories= 260, 8 grams of fat, 26 grams carbs, 4 grams dietary fiber, 2 grams sugar, 18 grams sugar alcohol, and 25 grams protein.

Perfect for a substitute meal.... unfortunately, they are kind of addicting, they are that good!



OK, now onto a new product I have never tried but heard about it on a low carb forum.... PORK RINDS. These are awesome!!! I love the crunchiness. And they are very convenient...

PORK RINDS
OK, I was walking by them in the store and remembered I heard them mentioned on a low carb forum, but thought these were only sold in the south... I was wrong... so I decided to give them a try. (I did make the mistake of googling what a pork rind was before I ate them and I actually was afraid to try them, but they are delicious!) I was trying to figure out what they taste like so I can describe them on the blog.... they taste like a cheetos without the cheese.... so, some might say they are bland. (kind of like a rice cracker). But they would go awesome dipped in salsa, ranch dressing or anything else... They have tons of protein and no carbs!



The Stats for one bag: