Sunday, July 11, 2010

I'm baaaack!

After taking a bit of a blogging hiatus, I am back :) I really missed it, but I found myself busy with everything else going on in my life.

I do have a bunch of updates. I have made a bunch of changes in my life recently, so I have been a bit busy... the most recent includes TAKING A RUNNING BREAK! To others, this might not seem like a big deal. But to me, this is a huge lifestyle change. I have been an avid runner since I turned 17... that would be 12 years!!! I even told one newspaper writer, that running, to me, was like brushing my teeth. Had to do it everyday. But, to be honest, it just wasn't fun for me anymore. I realized this after my last Boston Marathon. My sister laughed at me in the morning of the marathon when I told her, "I wish I was anyone who WASN'T running the marathon today." She asid she felt so lucky to be running it. I don't know what it was... the pressure of running, the stress on my body, but it was NOT FUN for me.... until I crossed the finish line :) Not that marathons are not always "fun..." but this one I just dreaded the whole time. And lately, my runs have been dreadful. Not sure if I am in a funk or what. But, I am listening to my body and taking a break! No cardio until I get my groove back.

Second, I put back on another 10 pounds. I got too skinny. I didn't mean to get so thin, but it just happened. I know my self esteem had dropped after I lost my job a couple of years ago, but it seemed like I blamed myself for everything and the only way to shift my focus from being depressed about lowing my job was to focus on food and exercise. And of course, being the perfectionist I am, I took it too far.

With that in mind, I have decided to follow a lower carb diet. Not low carb, but not as many carbs as when I am running 4-6 miles per day. I go to the gym and lift weights for about 40 minutes. I feel just as great after this type of workout than I did when I was running. For the last couple of months, I had switched to a low fat and moderate carb and moderate protein diet (a "runner's diet"), but I have decided I just can't follow that plan. Once I have one piece of bread, I can eat a whole loaf :) I am a carb addict. I don't feel myself getting full on low fat diets. Plus, I miss my peanut butter and coconut oil...

As far as my blog goes, I am not sure how much I will be blogging. I don't want to describe all my daily meals, since I think, knowing myself, it is sort of self-destructive. I am trying not to obsess with numbers, but I wil

Turning creamy peanut butter into crunchy peanut butter:
So, this is probably not the most genius idea, but I thought at the time I was a genius for thinking it up. I LOVE CRUNCHY peanut butter. It kicks creamy peanut butter's butt :) I mean, I am not biased... I would never turn down a peanut butter, but I like creamy better. So, I had a yummy jar of creamy sunbutter... and took a bag of nuts and cruched it with the back of a knife and then mixed them in together.





Coconut cinnamon pancakes:
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- 3 egg whites
- cinnamon
- stevia

Toppings:
- nature's hollow sugar free maple syrup
- tablespoon of peanut butter

Directions: mix all ingredients and microwave for about 2 minutes. top with more cinnamon, maple syrup and peanut butter.



Strawberry Coconut Pudding
Oh my gosh, this is delicious!

- 1 serving syntha 6 strawberry protein powder
- 2 oz lite coconut milk
- xantham gum
- ice

Directions: blend in magic bullet. It make this wicked thick creamy pudding!