Friday, December 18, 2009

Heart Thrive (Product Review)

Note: I was on the run today with a work outing, so I couldn't cook any meals.... But I decided today would be a good day to sample three of the Heart Thrive flavors that the company generously sent to me: raisin spice, apple and apricot. These energy bars are intended as meal replacement bars and are all natural. I liked that the bars are very dense. I only sampled one of each, but two of them could hold me off for a few hours. In addition, each serving has as much calcium as an 8 oz glass of milk. I thought these bars would be very dry and not taste good, but they definitely surprised me. They were much better than I anticipated. I would definitely use these as a meal replacement again.

Raisin spice: One heart has 159 calories, 1.5 grams fat, 6 grams protein, and 34 grams carbs

Apricot: One heart has 161 calories, 2 grams fat, 6 grams protein, and 32 grams carbs

Apple: One heart has 156 calories, 1.3 grams fat, 5.5 grams protein, and 33 grams carbs

From their website:
Heart Thrives are a delicious, VEGAN and NON-GMO energy bar. Made with oats, soy and dried fruits, each Heart Thrive supplies 30% daily PROTEIN, FIBER and CALCIUM.
Heart Thrives are made from ingredients with a low glycemic index that metabolize slowly providing sustained energy for hours.

Principle Ingredients: Oats, dried fruit, brown rice syrup, natural fruit juice, brown rice flour, soy protein concentrate, soy flour, Inulin(chicory root extract), rice bran, dried plums, dried apples, dried pears, calcium citrate.