Saturday, November 7, 2009

GTS Energy Drinks

Note: I have been hearing a lot of about Kombucha lately on different blogs, so I was excited to try it out. Thanks to Millenium products for sending me a few coupons to try them out. Unfortunately, it took me four grocery stores to find them, but I eventually saw them at Whole Foods store. (of course!) I bought synergy mystic mango, divine grape, strawberry serenity and raw organic kombucha no. 9. I will be doing reviews of these over the next few days, starting with mystic mango below.

Mystic Mango: I was first surprised when I opened the bottle that this is a carbonated drink. It also had a vinegar-y smell and taste. However, after taking a few sips, I got used to it. To me, it's definitely an acquired taste... like beer :) But, with all the health benefits everyone claims, I think it is something I could get used to :) But this is not a drink I would purchase for the taste. It took me a few good hours to finish the bottle. I didn't notice a strong mango flavoring, but it was definitely there. Not like traditional mango fruit juices. People swear by this drink, claiming it aids them with digestion and gives them more energy. However, I read articles claiming that there is no specific scientific studies that support these claims. I think the only way to determine whether it works for you is to try it out for a few days yourself and see if you notice a difference in energy. There is trace amounts of caffeine and alcohol in the bottle, which is a result of the fermentation process. The drink is around $3.49 a bottle and can be found at Whole Foods.

What is Kombucha?
From Millenium's website, "Kombucha is alternately known as a Chinese tea, a plant, or a mushroom. But it's not really any of these. It's a living culture of beneficial microorganisms, and in Kombucha's case, the whole is infinitely greater than the sum of its parts! Our Kombucha is delicately cultured - some liken it to fermentation - for 30 days. During this period, essential nutrients form like active enzymes, viable probiotics, amino acids, antioxidants and polyphenols. All of these combine to create an elixir that immediately works with the body to restore balance and vitality. Kombucha has been used for hundreds of years throughout the world as a daily health tonic. The culture resembles a light brown, tough, gelatinous disk—and because it's a living, growing entity, it can regenerate and create new cultures with every batch. In fact, GT's Kombucha and Synergy are made from Kombucha cultures that are descendants of the original culture GT grew to create his first bottles."